Thursday, July 17, 2008

CSA Share - Weeks 6 & 7

The share from Roxbury Farm, my organic, biodynamic CSA (community supported agriculture) in upstate New York, has been incredibly bountiful the past two weeks. Last week I received braising greens (not pictured), snap peas, brocolli, beets, parsley, cilantro, cabbage, fresh garlic, three cucumbers, 2 zucchini, and 2 summer squash. The farm is located in Kinderhook and Roxbury sources the fruit for the fruit share locally and there was no fruit last week what with the area having been hit by some pretty serious hail a few weeks back ruining a lot of the stone fruit (and what had been a beautiful set of leaves on Roxbury's turnips). Regardless this led to quite a feast last Thursday: hard boiled eggs with salsa verde made from the RF's parsley, zucchini and summer squash with mint and honey, salmon with a cilantro "pesto," and a cucumber and non-RF tomato salad.


It's gearing up for another week of serious vegetable eating. This week I got some excellen blueberries in my fruit share and received my first set of onions, carrots, potatoes, basil, more squash, salad greens (not pictured), more zucchini, a boat-load of cucumbers, and the best sweet corn I've had since my dad used to grow a garden in New Paltz. Back then my dad would often eat some of the ears of corn right off the stalk. I've tried that with good looking corn, even from farmers markets, to almost constant disappointment. I took a bite out of the first ear I husked tonight and all intentions of pan-frying went out the window. The entire cob was devoured raw. So flavorful. So sweet. I even woke Alison up so she could take a bite and she took several serious chomps. The potatoes and carrots (along with a little non-RF rosemary) made some nice home-fries for dinner.

No comments: